[BC] Legal ID Question

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Sat Aug 26 14:52:03 CDT 2006

> What bothers me is the FCC doesn't do more about it rather than
picking on stuff in the public file that almost no one (except
during elections) ever reads.

True.  You'd think a legal ID would be more important that some
b.s. in a Public File.  Than again, bureaucrats love paperwork.
That's what the Public File is all about.

> There are also AM/FM simulcasts, where each station has different
> call-letters, that ID as "WXYZ/WBCD Possum Flats."  For bonus points,
> what's wrong with that?

> It is a close call and probably would never draw a fine, BUT doesn't
quite meet the requirements of 73.1201(b)(1) which appears to require
repeating the COL with each call.

No, that's not it.  It fails to distinguish which station is the FM.
When simulcasting, it's necessary to specify.  Thus "WXYZ, WBCD-FM
Possum Flats" would be legal.

LF