[BC] Legal ID Question

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Sat Aug 26 14:47:54 CDT 2006

Then there are the creative, but perfectly legal IDs:

KBJR-TV in Superior, WI, across the water from the more desirable Duluth,
MN, used
to ID as "KBJR-TV 6, Superior television for the port cities."

The old WMJW is Magee, MS, which operated in the Jackson market, used to
hide the
legal ID in the weather.  "Current WMJW Magee temperate is 75, in Jackson
it's
77 at Magic 107.5."  This ran at about :50.  At the top-of-the-hour they ran
some-
thing else that sounded like it coulda been an ID, but mentioned only
Jackson.
To me, :50 doesn't meet the "as close as possible to the top of the hour"
test,
but I've never seen anybody fined for it.

In fact, in 34 years in broadcasting, I've only seen one station EVER fined
for
ID violations, and that was KBOT(FM) Pelican Rapids, Minnesota.  They were
hit
with a $5000 fine last year for airing a "promotional announcement" in place
of a Legal ID for a 3-month period in 2003.  They said it was "inadvertent."

LF