[BC] IBOC Radios

Robert Orban rorban
Sat Aug 26 14:08:14 CDT 2006

At 09:43 AM 8/26/2006, you wrote:
>From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] IBOC Radios
>
>NPR testing is to the contrary. They give the BA receptor good marks for
>RF in
>their lab testing.  Could it be the indoor environment is hostile to IBOC in
>general???  After all it is just another form of AM.

>Robert Orban wrote:
>

> > There are actually a number of HD radios with excellent front ends,
> > mostly auto radios. The problem seems to be with the tablestop radios.
> >
> > We shall see if BA gets it right in V2.
> >
> > Bob Orban

The V1 BA's main problem is that its AM front end overloads with relatively
low signal levels. I'm not sure if my BA's front end is being saturated by
KNBR or whatever 1550 is calling itself these days (or a combination
thereof). However, both of these TX's are located about 4 miles from my
house, so they are not exactly blanketing it. I don't own a field strength
meter, so I can't ascertain exactly what field strength these stations are
putting in my bedroom. However, no other AM radio I own (and I own quite a
few, thanks to AM processor tuning projects over the years) gets its front
end wiped out like the BA.

I find that the BA's FM tuner works fine when connected to my rooftop
antenna. I can get every Bay Area FM HD radio transmission with no problemns.

Bob Orban