[BC] Seedy Quality in IBUZ Ads

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Sat Aug 26 13:15:29 CDT 2006

Bob Orban wrote:
> However, I have to add that my brief audition of the Polk radio made the
> crossfade between FM and properly processed HD very noticeable -- when
> the HD channel turned on, HF distortion decreased, the highs opened up,
> and transient definition and impact increased noticeably.

...and the SBR artifacts came out in full force.

AAC+ and HDC do a remarkable job of creating the illusion of "crisp"
treble, but due to the inherent nature of SBR, it's really just making an
educated guess of what the content and texture of the treble should be --
and even at higher bitrates, that guess isn't always right.

SBR has an annoying tendency of adding extra treble harmonics that weren't
in the source audio, so it tends to turn a guitar into a ukelele and a
saxophone into a kazoo.  It might be a good-sounding kazoo, with nice
"crisp" treble, but if you were expecting to hear a saxophone instead,
then it's just totally wrong, and even a dull, overprocessed analog
reproduction would be literally "higher fidelity".