[BC] Legal ID Question

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Sat Aug 26 11:18:25 CDT 2006

> If you can say "WXYZ AM 1560 and WXYZ FM 105.5 Possum Flats"
> as your legal ID,

> But that is the point. You cannot *legally* use that ID with
the "AM" in it because the station's call letters are not
xxxx-AM, they are xxxx, therefore, legally, you must use
"WXYZ 1560 and WXYZ FM 105.5 Possum Flats" to comply with
73.1201(c) and 73.1201(c)(3).

> then "WXYZ-AM & FM Possum Flats" would probably
> pass muster as well.

> But it does NOT, because "WXYZ AM 1560, Possum Flats" does
not comply with 73.1201(b) which does not permit the
insertion of "AM" in the legal content although it does
specifically, by exception, permit using the frequency,
ownership, or network affiliation.

Larry's reply:

I understand the literal reading of the rules, but like I said,
I've never seen anybody fined for that, nor do I think the FCC
would fine anybody for that.  A station on 1560 is, after all,
an "AM".

What bothers me are the stations who don't even come close
to a legal ID, like the Las Vegas example I cited previously.

Then there was an ABC station in Atlanta, that when simulcast,
ID'ed as "WKXH, WKHX-FM Marietta Atlanta."  The AM was licensed
to Atlanta and the FM to Marietta, so the AM was never legally
ID'ed.

Then there was the CC news-talk station in Atlanta that was once
simulcast on AM/FM.  The ID said "AM 640 and FM 105.7, WGST Atlanta/Canton."
Since the AM was licensed to Atlanta and the FM to Canton, neither
one was properly ID'ed.

There are also AM/FM simulcasts, where each station has different
call-letters, that ID as "WXYZ/WBCD Possum Flats."  For bonus points,
what's wrong with that?

It's just simple Radio 101, but there are few people around that
understand that anymore.  The bean counters and the used car salesmen
have taken over broadcasting.

LF