[BC] Seedy Quality in IBUZ Ads

Richard Fry rfry
Sat Aug 26 06:30:24 CDT 2006

Bob Orban:
>However, I have to add that my brief audition of the
>Polk radio made the crossfade between FM and
>properly processed HD very noticeable -- when the
>HD channel turned on, HF distortion decreased, the
>highs opened up, and transient definition and impact
>increased noticeably.

That is an interesting observation, Bob.  An analog FM exciter using a
digital modulator and digital stereo generator has almost ruler-flat,
demodulated frequency response to beyond 15 kHz, and harmonic, IM and TIM
distortion levels so low as to be difficult to measure accurately.  OTOH,
HD has such a high content of digital compression artifacts that
conventional audio distortion measurements of it give very bad numbers.

What do think accounts for what you heard?

RF