[BC] Legal ID Question

Larry Fuss lfuss2
Fri Aug 25 19:54:46 CDT 2006

> If they're simulcasting, WGFA AM and FM Watseka is
> fine.

> AND Paul,  that's what you'd get,  a fine. There is no
> such station as WGFA AM. It's WGFA.

I've never known ANY station to get fined for ID'ing thusly.
As a matter-of-fact, it was fairly common practice for many
years and there are probably still quite a few stations
doing it that way.

Since you can legally insert the frequency and the name of the
licensee between the calls and the city of license, I doubt if
any FCC inspector would fine you for saying "AM" after the
AM calls.

If you can say "WXYZ AM 1560 and WXYZ FM 105.5 Possum Flats"
as your legal ID, then "WXYZ-AM & FM Possum Flats" would probably
pass muster as well.

I'm amazed at legal IDs I often hear on stations in big markets
that should know better.  Just basic "Radio 101."  When I moved
to Vegas three years ago, KMXB was running an ID that said
"K-M-X-B, Hi this is John Mayer, this is Sheryl Crow, hi everybody
I'm Rob Thomas, Henderson-Las Vegas."  This went on for over a year
even after I called it to the attention of the GM and the PD, both
of whom were clueless.  And they never got fined for it.

LF