[BC] Legal ID Question

Harold Hallikainen harold
Fri Aug 25 14:38:27 CDT 2006

> If they're simulcasting, WGFA AM and FM Watseka is fine.

Though this is common practice for simulcasting AM/FM, I don't believe it
complies with the current wording of 73.1201
(http://sujan.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2006/73/1201/). There is such a
provision for AM/AM simulcasts, but not for AM/FM. I think that years ago
the FCC prohibited AM/FM simulcasts, so they deleted the rule permitting
the ID on a channel other than the one the ID corresponded to. When the
prohibition of AM/FM simulcast went away, the rule was not changed to
allow the simultaneous ID on AM/FM.

There is a provision for "satellite stations." I believe these are
generally stations that have a main studio location rule waiver.

There is also a provision for multicasting, but I believe this applies to
DTV and digital radio as opposed to AM/FM simulcasting.

Again, I realize the AM/FM ID is common, but I do not believe the current
rules support it.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising