[BC] A Pig in a Polk

Rich Wood richwood
Thu Aug 24 22:17:46 CDT 2006

------ At 09:20 PM 8/24/2006, Robert Orban wrote: -------

>On the plus side, the Polk sounded much better than the BA, with
>much more defined treble and better balance throughout the audio
>frequency spectrum. Soundstage was wide for a all-in-one. I did not
>hear the bass as being bottom-heavy. However, the Polk offers bass
>and treble controls, so it's possible that the unit Rich heard had
>its bass turned up.

This market isn't blessed with high quality audio. The #1 station has
virtually no high end and a tubby bottom. Most FMs sound pretty muddy
with extremely heavy processing. I think I was so disappointed in the
unit that I didn't get into the menus. The Pioneer unit I had in the
Jeep gave me awesome quality with CDs and all but one station made me
want to disconnect the subwoofer. At the time, the best quality
station was doing Talk. Neither the Polk nor the BA were meant for
this market. You have to crank the high end up and the bottom end
down. In every other market I've been in I'm used to running my home
audio system flat. I can't do that here.

I might have found better quality if I had tried a CD. Since I was
interested in its IBUZ capabilities that wasn't high on my list.
Since both units were connected to outdoor antennas, their FM
reception seemed adequate. I would have liked to try the BA rat tail
as I did with the Yamaha but both were connected to the master system
with the rat tail nowhere to be found. My bet is that it would have been deaf.

Rich