[BC] Fox to run "blinks"

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Aug 22 22:05:04 CDT 2006

------ At 07:53 PM 8/22/2006, Dan Kelley wrote: -------

>I'm assuming this isn't quite accurate.  Airing a simple Simpsons
>"Duh" as a commercial does not satisfy the FCC sponsorship ID rules...

Is the word "Duh" in Homer Simpson's voice technically a commercial?
I know it would violate the spirit of the rule but an argument by a
company with more attorneys than the population of most small nations
could probably make the case that it's just a sound effect ... unless
they log it as a spot. I assume they're billing FOX for blinking, so
some kind of paperwork would have to be involved. The phrase "The
Simpsons on FOX" would probably be OK by the sponsor ID rules.

I asked myself the same question and came up with it being a way
around the "less is more" stuff. I disagree with the top honcho on
length being more important an irritant than the number of elements.
Every research project I've seen over many years has indicated that
the number of elements in an hour is what results in clutter more
than the length of the individual elements.

I guess we'll know soon, since the FCC is in "reduce the deficit by
fining stations" mode. Let's say the fine is $4000. That's 1100
stations times $4000. A good day's income for the FCC. I assume
they'll fine on a per incident basis, so it's continuous income and a
fine source of pork.

Rich