[BC] Any manned transmitter sites left?

Jared Seese jared
Tue Aug 22 19:47:22 CDT 2006

Farnsworth Peak, named after the famed inventor, is manned 24/7 360, by two engineer that work two weeks on and two weeks off and the site is only accessable by helocopter during the winter. Belonging  to
Bonneville Broadcasting it is the site of the highest power single FM antenna with 13 FM analog stations and 10 digital stations.
Jared Seese
Senior Field Engineer

	-----Original Message-----
	From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net on behalf of Scott Fybush
	Sent: Mon 8/21/2006 9:09 PM
	To: Broadcasters' Mailing List
	Subject: Re: [BC] Any manned transmitter sites left?

	> I'm curious if there are any stations today that still have manned
	> transmitter sites or is this truly a relic of a bygone era?
	>
	>  - Nat Kayle

	In my travels, I've seen barely any. There are a handful of big stations
	I've visited where an engineer makes his office at the tx site and spends
	significant amounts of time there (Watt Hairston at WSM comes to mind,
	also Roberto Vissani at CHWO/CJBC in Toronto). Even at those stations,
	though, the engineer just happens to be working at the site, as opposed to
	actually "manning" the transmitter.

	An interesting related question is whether there are any tx sites left
	that still double as engineers' living quarters. I know of at least one FM
	in LA with an apartment on site that's occupied by the engineer, but
	that's becoming a rarity as well.

	Our TV brethren (and, in deference to Rachel E., "sistren" as well) still
	man their sites in very large markets. Several of the LA TVs on Mount
	Wilson are still staffed 24/7 (CBS, Fox), and others (KABC, KNBC, KTLA)
	are staffed on a regular basis during prime-time at least. So are at least
	some of the Empire TVs in New York. At last check, WBZ in Boston has two
	full-time engineers who split their time between the TV and AM sites. It's
	usually one day a week at the AM and four at the TV...