[BC] Re: Ignoring Station Procedures. "I Know Better"

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Aug 21 11:09:41 CDT 2006

------ At 03:13 AM 8/21/2006, Jeff Allen wrote: -------

>There was a day here recently I produced three spots, fixed two
>transmitters, repaired a studio problem and updated content on four web
>sites whilst one of the jocks was complaining about doing four spots and a
>morning show all in one day.  Gosh...good thing he didn't have anything else
>to do.

I realize you put in a good day's work. However, it gets very tiring
to hear people berate the work involved in doing a good morning show
or airwork in general. At WOR we had a major cable cut by thieves
thinking it was full of copper (rather than being mostly insulation).
Our Talk Show hosts had to literally do 3 and 4 hour monologues. All
that was still working was the STL. Despite the lack of phone calls,
the station still sounded pretty good. I don't think professionalism
is limited to the engineering department.

I'd like to know how involved all that work was you did. I know how
to update web sites. Not heavy lifting. Did you have to rip the
transmitters apart and spend hours repairing them or did they just
need breaker resets? How about the studios. Major reconstruction or
replacing a defective mic? I'd have to know that to be able to judge
how much more burdensome your day was than the Jock's. Then we can
set up a scale of who does more valuable work and who suffers most.

Talk to a TV personality who has ever done a radio Talk Show. They'll
tell you it's one of the hardest things they've ever done. You're on
your own for hours at a time without the TV sized support staff that
allows you to do little more than read a Teleprompter.

Everyone's job is important. Over the years I can recall complaints
by engineers about how tough their jobs were on days where nothing
more strenuous than lifting their feet onto the desk was required.
Anyone who's been on this list for any length of time knows how much
I respect engineers. I just think it's only fair to give others who
contribute to our product a bit of respect, too.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258