[BC] Cuban Broadcasts

Paul Smith W4KNX paul
Sun Aug 20 08:04:10 CDT 2006

I remember that time period also.  Here in Sarasota, Radio Moscow,
originating from Cuba was on 1040 and drowning out the local 1040 here in
St. Petersburg.  It was really bad.  And either the local, or Cuba station
had trouble remaining on frequency as there was usually a low frequency het
that really interfered with reception. I remember both 1040's on a Sunday
afternoon signing off the air so the FCC monitoring stations could get a fix
on where exactly in Cuba the signal was coming from.  There are several AM's
here in Florida still operating on STA's for higher power because of that
even though the interference went away years ago.

Paul Smith
W4KNX
Sarasota, FL

----- Original Message -----
From: <DHultsman5 at aol.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2006 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [BC] Cuban Broadcasts

In a message dated 8/19/2006 7:47:08 PM Central Daylight Time,
kzerocx at rapidcity.net writes:

The  interesting thing is that they were all one second off on the ?  second
mark, when compared to WWV or WWVH.  It was verified with both  my digital
watch and my friend's Accutron.  I cannot remember whether  their error was
early or late, but we surmised that there had been a leap  second correction
that they failed to observe.

I imagined Castro to  have said "We don't observe no stinkin' capitalist
leap
seconds."

Gary, K?CX

=========================

Gary:

As a peddler I have traveled all over the SE US for nearly 30 years.   Many
times when driving back from Florida on a Friday night I would tune around
the
AM dial.

In the early '80's Cuba was heavily under the influence of Russia.   The
Radio Havana frequency of 600 kHz. had been taken over by the Russians and
was
carrying programming on 600 kHz and the name of "The North AMerican Service
of
Radio Moscow".

You could hear it regularly on 600 kHz. in the eastern US.   In  the Miami
area you could hear it very good until about 10 AM during  daytime.  They
evidently reduced power and went back to spanish programming  about 10 AM.

So I am driving home one Friday night and the audio fails.....You could
hear
all types of control beeps and pops an switches evidently on the satellite
link of the first mile or last mile telephoner lines. There was clearly a
carrier for about 20 minutes and the audio finally returned.

As couple of engineers, in the Miami area, were talking about the
ocassional
failures and if that might be a short life operators job.  "The  next
failure
of our North AMerican Service and its execution"    Jokingly put that they
would take to operating engineer out back and shoot him  if a failure
occurred.

Someone from Florida or elsewhere may want to comment on Radio Moscow  on
the
AM band in the USA.

Dave
Cable-Connectors-Blocks-Racks-Wire Management-Test Gear-Tools and More!