[BC] Daylight Savings Time and Translators for AM

Stan Tacker stacker
Fri Aug 18 21:49:39 CDT 2006

Operation around sunrise and sunset is getting more and more touchy for
stations on regional channels especially with a few class B stations
measuring themselves up to higher powers.  Since there is no critical hours
protection between the B's and D's, the situation can really limit a
station's ability to cover the market within its protected contour.

Not much to do except go for a corresponding power increase.  Many can, it
just takes a bunch of field work.

What is the group's take on the NAB proposal for translators for AM
stations?

With the number of translator apps filed in the last window, it's hard to
take it seriously.  Where are these frequencies to come from?  Our state
assn. of broadcasters doesn't know...they just say trust NAB.  Can't do
that.

Longer DST is going to be a problem everywhere.