[BC] Things that drive CEs nutty

Richard Fry rfry
Fri Aug 18 17:14:45 CDT 2006

>>what if, after fading to black you cut the tx power back to 50%.
>>Rob Atkinson

>I've never tried your scenario there but the transmitter running
>black would still be at 100% modulation regardless of the power level.
>Bill B.  Houston
_______________

Analog TV transmitter modulation of +100% refers to the peak of sync, not
to any specific grey-scale value.

So transmitting a black raster at 50% of the normal analog TPO would
consume less power from the AC mains than at 100% power, because then both
the peak and average TPO would be reduced.

But for legal reasons, probably it would be preferable to transmit the
normal peak-of-sync (licensed) TPO, and set the video APL to something
closer to "white," in order to reduce the power bill in that time interval
by ~an equivalent amount.

RF