[BC] Low-Tech "EAS"

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Aug 18 10:19:55 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/18/2006 9:16:29 AM Central Standard Time,
mark3xy at gmail.com writes:
I recall that the founders of KDHX-TV in St. Louis (an offshoot of the
former KDNA-FM) wanted each evening's "sign-off" to feature a live
shot of the night crew walking to the studio door and turning out the
lights.  The station would broadcast "black" all night until sign-on,
when the door would be seen opening and the lights turned on again.

This practice might be frowned upon today, as a contribution to
"global warming" with no "redeeming benefit" -- although an "artiste"
might disagree...

Mark
********************************

Correct me if I am wrong.....but as I recall total black uses the most power
in the TV visual transmitter..

But you have to hand it to them it was "artistic".

I remember in an old TV production course in college in the early '60's,
before all the wonderful effects TV has today, that we supered an aquarium camera
over another scene and dropped  white washing power into the water
simulating snow.  During the rehersal after a bit of practice it looked pretty good.
During the actual production too much powder got dropped and about a third of
the screen was washed out.

Dave.