[BC] Correct URL for the Symmetra-Peak

Robert Orban rorban
Wed Aug 16 19:45:39 CDT 2006

At 11:58 AM 8/16/2006, you wrote:
>From: Robert Meuser <Robertm at broadcast.net>
>Subject: Re: [BC] Correct URL for the Symmetra-Peak
>
>Very simplisticly, a gyrator is an opamp circuit that turns a resistor
>into an inductor. The gyrator circuit can be trimmed with a
>potentiometer, so it could actually be a variable inductor. They are the
>major component in FDNR filters found in the output of some audio
>processors, including some Orban and some CRL units.
>
>You could do the symmetra-peak circuit with 2 quad opamps.

An FDNR is not a gyrator, although FDNRs and gyrators are two specialized
forms of "generalized immitance converter" circuits.

These circuits are particularly useful for simulating passive,
double-terminated LC lowpass and highpass filters because the resulting
active RC network retains much of the original LC filter's low sensitivity
to component variations in the passband. In essence, this is because the
passband of the filter permits maximum possible power transfer between
source and load at the peaks of the passband ripple. Please note that this
favorable sensitivity property does NOT apply to the stopband of a passive
LC filter.

In general, FDNRs are useful for lowpass filters and gyrators are useful
for highpass filters because these applications allow the GIC in question
to have one grounded terminal. Transforming passive LC bandpass filters
gets more complicated.

I don't recall seeing any detailed analysis of the complications that might
arise by simulating the inductors in a lattice by floating gyrators. I'm
not sure you could do the Kahn simulation this way, use 8 opamps, and still
get good performance. But I don't know for sure that you couldn't.

I suspect that the minimum number of opamps required to do a
manufacturable, accurate active-RC implementation of the Kahn is probably
four. These would realize cascaded stages, each realizing two poles and two
zeros, paired so that the overall response of the stage is as flat as possible.

Bob Orban