[BC] The XLR pinout debate

Chuck Lakaytis chuck
Tue Aug 15 19:10:36 CDT 2006

Older Otari MX5050 recorders had pin three hot.  And remember the Shure
mixer that had a female XLR for the output?

We used to have some older video equipment that had pin three hot, but those
have gone away.

Chuck Lakaytis
Director of Engineering
Alaska Public Broadcasting, Inc.
Anchorage, Alaska
907 277 6300
907 301 4339 (cell)

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Bill Croghan
Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 8:55 AM
To: 'Broadcasters' Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [BC] The XLR pinout debate

	We hashed this out about 8 years ago on the lists.  There were a
great number of connectors made years ago that were marked differently.  I
don't recall who made them and haven't seen one in years, but the middle pin
was labeled #2.  It made some sense then to think of the "HI" being between
the shield and "Lo".  Now I always connect the "HI" to the pin opposite the
shield.
	That said, it's important that we stick to standards.  I have a
posted chart showing how to connect XLR's, TRS, TS, (1/4, Mini and Sub
mini)and RCA plugs.  I have a couple of notes posted on the wall labeled
station standards that cover these and other combinations including RJ11,
RJ45 and station multi cables.  There is a difference in the way input and
output may be connected so that to is addressed.  If a cord is wired
otherwise, it must be labeled so with a brothers label.
	It's important to have standards that match other folks, but also
that you and your staff stick to.  The time spent establishing these
standards will pay of later when you do not have to trouble shoot.
Bill

Bill Croghan CPBE WB?KSW
Chief Engineer,
KOMP/KXPT/KENO/KBAD