[BC] WSJ: Satellite Radio Runs Into Static

Rich Wood richwood
Tue Aug 15 11:19:01 CDT 2006

------ At 10:31 AM 8/15/2006, Rob Atkinson wrote: -------

>in today's Wall Street Journal headline top Front Page column 5:
>
>Low Fidelity:  Until Recently Full of Promise, Satellite Radio Runs
>Into Static

If this article doesn't do a number on their stock prices, nothing
will. It makes it sound as though the whole thing is falling apart.
The article mentions that car installations don't get activated. Now
it's done (for the free trial period) at the factory. What happens
when the radio stops working when the trial is over? My bet is that
the dealers aren't telling buyers they'll be on the hook once the
trial ends. Then the car comes back for service because the radio
doesn't work right.

I see the same issue with IBUZ when mode switching drives the driver
nuts, especially where stations actually process separately and the
secondaries disappear in bad signal areas.

Coming from a car dealer family I think car manufacturers are
absolutely nuts to install an option that's likely to bring the car
back for warranty service, especially when the problem can't be
fixed. In Western New England mode switching is a constant problem.

Rich