[BC] Flipped outlets.

Bob Foxworth rfoxwor1
Tue Aug 15 09:25:52 CDT 2006

Regarding AC outlets, I moved into a townhome in Tampa,
built in 1997, that had some of the wall outlets installed with the
ground pin facing up. I originally thought it was carelessness,
but soon discovered that each outlet with the pin down was
one that was continuously energized, and the outlets with
the ground pin facing up were those that were fed through
a wall switch, intended for such as reading lamps in the
corner. In my spare bedroom is my computer, which is
fed through one of those switched outlets. I've installed
one of those little plastic brackets that keep the outlet
from being manually switched off, but everything is
fed through breakered power strips. The unattributed
comment, below, makes it sound as if this is possibly
now outside of/not covered by electrical code.

- Bob

http://images.google.com/images?q=electrical+outlet&hl=en&btnG=Search+Images