[BC] IBOC Tentatively Identified as Interfering Signal

Mike McCarthy Towers
Tue Aug 15 07:21:14 CDT 2006

Kent,

First adjacents are the ones at most risk of being BOMBED.  This is
especially acute in the 1230/1240 local stations where there are a LOT of
overlaps nearing 5mV.  If both locals light up with IBOC, it will be mutual
and absolute annihilation.  IX will be present up to the 10mV
contour...which on those stations is only about 5 miles in good soil.  If
many light up around the country, those two channels (as well as 1220 and
1250) will be nothing but mush/hash.

I don't know if you caught Greg Buckwald's presentation at Madison last
year about pattern bandwidth and problems with first adjacents.  He used
WTMJ as an example.  In certain areas, the IBOC to analog carrier ratio was
10dB OVER what the standard defines.  In very few areas was the ratio under
the standard.

MM

At 04:36 PM 8/14/2006 -0400, Kent Winrich wrote