[BC] XLR / Cannon "P" and "UA" Series

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Tue Aug 15 06:47:25 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/14/2006 7:12:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
seaberg1 at sbcglobal.net writes:

>  Whatever possessed Cannon to make pin 1 the ground in the XL  series?
>
> Peter S.

Before the XLR Connector,  microphone connectors were typically made  by
Hubbell with a "Twist Lock" connector and the Cannon P Series  Connectors.  I
converted a Radio station with lots of microphone  connectors, cables and
mircophones from the Cannon P series to XLR Connectors in  the 1960's.

On the P Series connectors, which I assume were installed with the radio
station in 1936, Pin #1 was ground.  I am sorry I don't recall the polarity  of
pin #2 & #3.

Incidently the Electro-Voice 666/667 and the 655 and 655/C series
microphones used the Cannon UA type connector.   I recall in the early  1960's an ABC TV
truck using the UA type connectors on the truck and all cables  for
microphones.  Most others used P, Twist Lock or XL series.  I am  sure some TV guys
have early memories.

The largest problems with the EV/Mikes was the odd connector,   similiar
problem with Western Electric and Altec microphones.

You had to have a cable from the microphone and could not interchange
without pig-tails or adapters.

In the late 1960's we used alot of 666 and 655 EV microphones and decided  to
get rid of the UA pigtails.  We had changed everything else to XLR and  any
cable could be connected to any cable.   Gene Caton at Audio  Acoustics in the
DFW area had built some aluminum castings that included  the an XLR connector
adapter with a UA casting that allowed the removal of  the UA connectors and
converting directly to an XLR connectorin the base of the  microphone.

Also Cannon made an adapter for EV microphones that used the  Amphenol screw
on connector that I used to convert the EV-636, EV-630,  EV-645  to XLR
connectors.

Dave Hultsman