[BC] Can someone identify an old Collins 5?

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Aug 14 12:27:21 CDT 2006

reader at oldradio.com writes:

Hello,  Barry.

Perhaps you could help me on a question:  Back in the early  '70s, I
worked at a station that had two Collins transmitters.  The  standby
transmitter was the model 20T, which you have a picture of in your
Collins section.  Next to it was the 5/10kW version, which looked
exactly like the 1kW, but was built in 4 cabinets, and used 892R mods
& finals, and 8008 rectifiers.  All of the tubes were visible  through
those big cabinet windows, and the rectifiers cast a glow in the  room
that pulsated with modulation.  It was a very impressive
installation, especially for a youngster, just getting into the  business.

Since then, I have not been able to find any reference to  that 5kW
transmitter, either pictures of even the model number.  Do  you have
any idea what it was?

Depending on the model and the photos,  I am guessing that it was a  21B.  I
have send info to Barry on the 21-A and the 21-B  both being 5  kW AM from
Collins and preceeded the Collins 21E/M.

Dave Hultsman