[BC] Old radios

Scott Fybush scott
Mon Aug 14 12:06:16 CDT 2006

Gordon Carter wrote:
> Here's one for you.
>
> Anyone out there ever hear of Dalton radios?  They appear to be French
> made, but I can't find much about them on the 'net.
>
> One of our people was in an antique store over the weekend and saw a
> poster.
>
> Any help?

I can't find much in the way of web resources about it (it's never a
good sign, research-wise, when my own skimpy page cracks the top 10 in a
Google search), but there's an extensive collection of French-made
radios in the museum at Maison Radio France, the enormous headquarters
building in Paris for the state radio system.

I visited there in 2002, and saw many brands of radio that I'd never
seen before (or since) on this side of the pond. (Alas, photography was
strictly "interdit," so no pictures to offer up...)

Their museum also elevates Edouard Branly, the inventor of the coherer,
to a position in radio history slightly above Marconi, Fessenden, Tesla,
Armstrong and Sarnoff. National pride, I guess.

In any event, the museum might be a useful resource if you can find
someone with something better than my high-school French to get in touch
with them!