[BC] IBOC Tentatively Identified as Interfering Signal

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Aug 14 01:59:13 CDT 2006

On 13 Aug 2006 at 20:18, Dana  Puopolo wrote:

> BONUS COVERAGE???!!
>
> I hear PLENTY of AM IBOC interference WELL WITHIN many stations' PROTECTED
> CONTOURS!!!
>
> And I'm talking about the 1 and 2 mV/m ones, NOT the .5!!!

However, the complaint was reception of an LA area station
in San Diego, so that was not the point in this case.

I don't doubt your observation because there are some cases
of daytime IX with more to come. However, the same problem
causing these cases will be compounded by skywave.

This may be a bit cynical, but ultimately the only protected
coverage is going to be that in the COL or SMA, inside the
5.0 daytime and established NIF or 5.0, which ever is greater,
at night IMHO. Then, it would seem to be a significant
economic issue that can't be brushed aside.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037