[BC] The XLR pinout debate

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sun Aug 13 06:50:47 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/13/2006 1:11:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
psmerdon at fastmail.com.au writes:

Oh, and  then was the Otari MX50 tape machine at another facility I
worked for,  which had unbalanced outputs on XLRs pin 3 only (factory
standard issue -  output balancing was optional on this model, and Otari
had the "pin 3 hot"  standard). A tech who should have known better (no,
not me <g>)  wasted an afternoon trying to figure out why he had no audio
from his "pin  2 hot" adaptor cable.

My recollection is that the old Schafer automation machines using the Ampex
decks with Schafer Electronics used Pin 3 as hot  (Red)   also.   This deep in
my memory banks.   And I seem to recall  in some publication, and microphone
standard which was listed as the RCA  standard and the Western Electric
standard and as I recall one of those had pin  3 hot.