[BC] The XLR pinout debate

Peter Smerdon psmerdon
Sat Aug 12 17:25:47 CDT 2006

It is confused - but there has been an AES standard since the mid
nineties - pin 2 hot. The standard also defines pin 2 as opposite pin 1.
That is the numbering I've seen on all XLRs I've handled -
Cannon/Alcatel, Switchcraft and Neutrik.
Though, Otari did have a record of using "different" connector numbering
schemes - the Jones plug remote sockets on the 5050 had a different
numbering to the mating plugs I bought for them from another source.

The standard is on the AES website.
Look for AES14-1992 at http://www.aes.org/publications/standards/

I'm recalling that before the standard, pin 2 hot was common in UK and
Europe, and pin 3 hot in US and Japan.
Australia was importing pro audio gear in about equal measure from both
camps, so it was a right royal mess down here.

--
Peter Smerdon.

Radio 3mp - Easy Listening
sen-1116  - Let's Talk Sport