[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Fri Aug 11 21:32:18 CDT 2006

Kirk Harnack wrote:
> Well, obviously I'm buying the wrong night lights and air fresheners.
> I can show you a half dozen of them that are oriented properly when the
> outlet is installed with the ground pin down (putting the HOT side on
> the upper right).

I didn't know they made any night-lights or plug-in air fresheners with
a polarized plug.  If you're somehow getting your hands on polarized
versions and need to install them "upside-down", why not just file down
the large prong so that the thing can be plugged in either way?  I'm sure
many of us have done that before, and have lived to tell about it.

And while we're on the topic, sort of... do the holes in the prongs of an
AC plug serve any purpose?  I suppose they could be used to lock a plug in
place, but I've never seen any AC outlets with that feature.  I have seen
some items which do not have these holes in the AC prongs, but that is
rare.