[BC] A Pirates double whammy.

Mike McCarthy Towers
Fri Aug 11 10:50:01 CDT 2006

The FLA statute as I understand doesn't necessarily apply to emissions
exclusively.  There is a segment of the statute which applies to the
function of the operation as an unlicensed defacto business.  It classifies
the pirate operation as an unauthorized media business regardless of
whether the "station" sells advertising.  The state claims (and correctly
in my opinion) that the emissions creates an environment to invite other
businesses and persons to participate in an unlicensed (and therefore
illegal) public activity regardless of whether revenue is generated.  It is
the activity behind the emissions, not the emissions themselves which are
illegal under the state statute.

In that regard, I think it would hold muster in federal court since the
states have the right to regulate commerce originating within their
state.  In fact, that could be the basis of other states doing the same
thing.  Making the activity supporting the illegal emissions a state
offense....either a misdemeanor or felony..as they have in FL.

I agree the emissions aspect should be exclusive to the FCC.

Paul, is that a correct interpretation of the statute?

MM

At 11:19 AM 8/11/2006 -0400, Paul Christensen wrote