[BC] Fused plugs - was Hot and grounded chassis

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Fri Aug 11 10:43:00 CDT 2006

>> While we are on the subject of polarized household AC receptacles and
plugs.
>>  What does the NEC actually call for in the placement within the  wall box?
>> Ground pin on top or ground pin on bottom?
>
>I don't have a current NEC book in front of me, but I think the ground
>pin should go on top, to lessen the chance of a short (across the hot
>and neutral pins) in case a metallic object should fall in between a
>partially-inserted plug and the receptacle.

IIRC, this falls under "AHJ" ... Authority Having Jurisdiction ...
interpretation.

Some NEMA 5/6-15/20 receptacles are made with the manufacturer's logo
oriented such that "U up" makes his logo read correctly, while others are
made with the manufacturer's logo oriented such that "U down" makes his
logo read correctly.

The receptacles which I presently favor, Hubbell 5262 for commercial and
"home shop" installations, and Hubbell 5252 for other installations, both
of these being nylon front and extra heavy duty (extreme heavy duty for
the 5262), have all the indicia read correctly with the "U up".

However, my residence was originally constructed with NEMA 1-15
receptacles (no U ground), and as I converted these to NEMA 5-15s (U
ground), using a GFI/receptacle assembly as the first receptacle in a
branch circuit and replacing subsequent receptacles on that same branch
circuit with a NEMA 5-15, I installed the GFIs with their logos reading
correctly, and this was "U down", therefore, the subsequent receptacles
were also installed "U down".