[BC] Hot and grounded chassis

Dana Puopolo dpuopolo
Thu Aug 10 21:59:31 CDT 2006

I remember a two prong non polarized line plug that had two 3AG type fuses in
it - one for each side of the line. You pushed them out via small holes on the
top if the plug.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Mark Humphrey" <mark3xy at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Hot and grounded chassis

On 8/10/06, nakayle at gmail.com <nakayle at gmail.com> wrote:

> One change which I think is over-kill is the current UL requirement that
> even small household appliances now must use SPT2 cords.  These seem
> unnecessarily bulky for small light-duty appliances such as a table lamp or
> clock radio.

The British/Irish practice of fusing the plug (up to 13 amps) might
make the most sense: this protects the flimsy line cord as well the
appliance, and puts the fuse in a location that's easy to access and
replace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13-amp_plug

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:G_plug.png

British plugs have ample volume for a fuse, but North American plugs
are probably too small, unless we want to start making them the size
of wall-warts.

Mark