[BC] Hot and grounded chassis

nakayle@gmail.com nakayle
Thu Aug 10 18:27:28 CDT 2006

Well I saw it both ways- some switched the hot side, some the chassis side.
I can think of no logic to switching the chassis side.   Using a polarized
plug to insure the chassis was on the cold side and then switching the hot
side would be the sensible thing to do.  I don't know why they didn't since
even the old 2-prong outlets were polarized- with one slot wider than the
other.

Later transformerless equipment used a floating ground which was somewhat
safer.  Here the circuit ground was floated and connected to the chassis
only through a capacitor/resister combo.  This put the chassis pretty much
at RF ground- but not AC ground.   Still, the cap would pass enough AC that
you could get a bite from it.

Now a days most everything comes with polarized plugs and many with
grounding plugs as well.  And GFI breakers are required for anything used
around water.

One change which I think is over-kill is the current UL requirement that
even small household appliances now must use SPT2 cords.  These seem
unnecessarily bulky for small light-duty appliances such as a table lamp or
clock radio.

    - Nat