[BC] Re: Blacklisting in Broadcast Engineering

Paul Christensen pchristensen
Thu Aug 10 17:58:15 CDT 2006

> I believe that current HR policy still dictates that the job performance
> rating or assessment of either a "good" or "bad" employee is never
> released by a former employer to a third party, without a legal
> requirement to do so.

That's been the view of most employment law attorneys for quite a long time.
I think you would be hard-pressed to find any contemporary organization
whose policy is to release any information beyond employment start and end
dates.  Many employers will not release any information.

Under my past three employers, release of any employment information except
through H.R. channels was strictly prohibited and created a cause for
termination.  The reason has to do with prior case law where employers have
been found guilty of defamation, even when the information presented is
truthful.. This goes to the point discussed in another thread concerning the
principle of defamation per se.

On the other hand, smaller employers and their personnel tend not to follow
this logic and their action often creates a liability for money damages.

The use of so-called black-lists may be fine for use internal to the
organization, but third-party publication of that information creates an
extremely high degree of liability for the person communicating the
information as well as the employer under the principles of agency and
respondeat superior.

Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE, CBNT
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills, Jacksonville, FL 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802    Facsimile:  (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org