[BC] Hot and grounded chassis

rockwell@rmci.net rockwell
Thu Aug 10 12:38:38 CDT 2006

  Even the
> > simple precaution of using a polarized plug would have
>improved safety
> > greatly but manufactures didn't even do that.

Most outlets in those days weren't polarized anyway, so a
polarized plug wouldn't have worked.

> > it's a wonder we baby-boomer electronic experimenters
>ever made to  adulthood!   (-;
> >

>As I recall, one side of the line went through the power
>switch to the chassis. If the plug was in one way, the
>chassis was at zero volts (or thereabouts, it was connected
>to neutral) when the unit was on, but at 120VAC when the
>unit was off. Reverse the plug and the chassis was at zero
>volts when the unit was off, but at 120VAC when the unit
>was on.

Our radio had it's gound wire connected to the cold water
pipe
that went to the kitchen sink.  If the radio was off, you
could get
shocked if you were touching the sink drain and the water
faucet
at the same time.  When we were really little Mom used to
give
baths in that same sink.   Maybe that's how I got "infected"
with
the "electronic" bug.......  :)

--- Rockwell