[BC] AM IBOC In The Dallas / Fort Worth Market

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Wed Aug 9 21:43:16 CDT 2006

On 8/9/06, Danny Ray Boyer <drboyer at centralcom.com> wrote:

> The biggest problem?  While driving around Dallas, Fort Worth and the
> Mid-Cities areas - all three AM IBOC signals drop out.
> Not good.

And you have good ground conductivity around Dallas, too.  Around here
(west of Philadelphia) you can imagine how much worse AM coverage is.

I recently bought the new JVC and have also found major problems in
its AM performance, in both analog and digital mode.  The front end
goes very non-linear when exposed to even moderate power line noise.

> Good Audio, Bad Audio
> Heck of a difference in the quality of the audio........

Yes -- it really "highlights the shadows" -- but I'm not sure how to
fix that without defeating the blending.

> My next installment will be my observations concerning FM IBOC in Dallas / Fort Worth.

I think you'll find the FM section works much better, especially in
your kind of terrain.  I am very interested in how well you receive
the almost-in-Oklahoma "rimshotters" which are trying to cover Dallas.
 Thanks for the report.

Mark