[BC] 8008s

Lamar Owen lowen
Tue Aug 8 19:39:27 CDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net on behalf of Clay Freinwald
>Remember the 8008-XE's.... They were really nice...Think Amperex
>made them for a while...too bad they quit.   They glowed GREEN...

>Too bad, a couple of generations of folks that have never seen an
>AM rig with those rectifiers pulsing with modulation...it was a
>great show and tell with the viewers convinced they were seeing
>- power -.    Then there are those cold mornings with a HP rig
>and the ka--pow of circuit breakers cause they were grumpy....
>Learned to keep the filaments on from then on...

I think I have a few 8008's lying around, along with maybe half a dozen of the solid-state rectifier 'christmas trees' that were a plug and play replacement.  The pulsing neons on the 'trees' were definitely not as pretty as the blue glow of the mercs.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology