[BC] RA-=1000

Fred Morton radioguy
Tue Aug 8 09:19:07 CDT 2006

It was the backup transmitter at the old KATT(AM), 1140 khz, in Oklahoma
City for a number of years. I have no idea where it is today, since that
station has changed hands since I worked there back in the late 70s-early
80s.

Fred Morton, CSRE
Houston
-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of DHultsman5 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:02 AM
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] RA-=1000

In a message dated 8/7/2006 7:34:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
stacker at krvt.com writes:It

The  RA-1000 was a great rig.  Years ago, I re-installed one that had  been
purchased for backup purposes.  The former owner was KLIF.   You could tell
the transmitter had been waxed regularly.  Looked  great, sounded good.

Yes that was one of the RA-1000's I was involved with.   When  KLIF went on
the air in 1947 on 1190 kHz. they were a 1 kW. Daytimer using the  RA-1000
in a
quonset hut in Sycene Road near Bruton road in the White Rock  creek
bottoms.
 Later on the added four more towers for nightime  operation.  In 1964 they
got 5 kW Daytime ND operations witha CE 316  transmitter and in 1958 they
got
50 kW.  daytime DA from a second site  between Dallas & Ft. Worth in Irvimg,

TX.

When the built the 12 tower in Rockwall, TX for 5 kW. nights.  Scyene  Road
site was abandoned.  For a short period of time we operated from 3  seperate

transmitter sites every day.

Where is the KLIF RA-1000 now?

Dave