[BC] Question on Call Letters

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Mon Aug 7 21:01:38 CDT 2006

There's an LPFM with the callsign WOMB not far from here.  Not "in
Utero" -- but in Gap, Pennsylvania.

What's even better is that they were just re-assigned those calls for
the third time since 2003, when the station began operation.  Here's
the history:

It started as WOMB in October 2003, then changed to:

WGCP

WOMB (again, for 5 months)

WLDW (after 96.5 in Philadelphia dropped the calls)

WOBS   ("Zero B.S"?)

WGPQ (for two weeks)

WLBX (for only one week)

WOBS (again, for four months)

WLRI (wow, they kept that for eight months)

WLIZ (for six weeks)

WTPP (for only two weeks - must have tested poorly in the focus group)

WOMB (again, as of 7/1/06)

All with the -LP suffix, of course.

I've got the perfect thing: a big marquee for the front of their
building with the last three letters painted on drums, so they can
just spin them around each month and avoid calling the sign guy.

Mark