[BC] Question on Call Letters

PeterH5322 peterh5322
Mon Aug 7 17:35:37 CDT 2006

>In Amateur Radio, we have callsigns in the USA that start with A, K, N and
>W, and some government utility HF stations' callsigns begin  with K, N and
>W.
>Is this the same with broadcast stations?  If  we were ever to run out of K
>and W callsigns (probably unlikely, but just for  the sake of the argument),
>would the FCC issue broadcast callsigns starting with  A or N?

K--- and W--- for broadcast stations; N for aircraft stations (which
always corresponds to the aircraft's registration number). I we run out
of four letter calls, we'd go to five, as has Mexico.

I would guess that N prefixes were intended for Navy stations and A
prefixes were intended for Army stations.

NAA was a Navy medium wave station, pre-NARBA. 690 kHz, Arlington, VA.

Given the NAA call, perhaps this was the first and only Navy medium wave
station. I know of no corresponding Army medium wave station, AAA.