[BC] Radio Reccomendation Needed

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Mon Aug 7 11:45:58 CDT 2006

On 8/7/06, cldube <cld at admin.umass.edu> wrote:

> Maybe a used Sony 2010?

Paul,

If you don't mind spending $200 or so on a used radio, I second
Chuck's recommendation for the Sony ICF-2010.

I bought one in 1984 just after they were introduced and it still
performs well, although several years ago it began suddenly going dead
on battery power  -- so I fitted a paper "shim" in the battery
compartment to keep the connections tight.  AM synchronous detection,
SSB and wide/narrow IF bandwidth are very useful features.  It can
function as a clock radio, and the FM section tunes down to 76 MHz, so
you'll be ready for the expanded FM band (if the FCC ever sees the
light.)

For more opinions on the 2010, read these 5/5 reviews on eHam:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/479

If that's more than you can afford, I would then take Kevin's
suggestion: go to your local junkyard, pull a decent Delco car radio
from a wreck, and mount it in a suitable box with linear 12 volt
supply.  (Did Delco ever make a model with both AM Stereo and FM RDS?)

Mark