[BC] Radio Recomendation

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Aug 7 11:04:23 CDT 2006

In a message dated 08/07/2006 09:34:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Radiofldude at aol.com writes:

> I'm looking to be able to pick out the weaker stations out  there in
>  radioland.

Well, depending on how serious you really are... a number of recommendations
have already been made. If you're really serious about picking-out the weak
ones, you will need a *good* wuality radio, capable of single-sideband
reception. Not just a "BFO", but a true SSB receiver. That will make a huge difference
when you have to pull a weak one out from the splatter of a strong 1'st
adjacent. (Again, if it's running IBUZ, forget it.)

I use my Ham rig (an Icom IC718) in SSB mode to pull weak AM stations out of
the noise. Example, 970 in NJ is audible only in the upper sideband mode,
because of WELI 960. Not even the narrow AM mode works for this one, because of
the splatter. (If I tune 1Khz high, it helps, but SSB mode is far better.) I
know that Icom makes a general-coverage receiver which is like a "brother" to the
Icom 718. (Icom R75) It is a very good unit, but it's a few hundred $$, used.
It's small (table-top) runs on 12v and should come with a power adapter.

Willie...