[BC] Radio Reccomendation Needed

Bob Foxworth rfoxwor1
Mon Aug 7 09:51:16 CDT 2006

> > I want to get a radio thats good for DXing.  I know having a
> > digital  radio
> > is more expensive and I can't/don't want to spend alot of money.
> >
> > Besides a GE SuperRadio, what else is there that's really good? A
> > radio  that
> > has built in speakers but an connections for extrenal AM and FM
Antennas
> > would be great.

> The best thing ever for MW DX is the Hammarlund SP-600 series, closely
> followed by the Hammarlund HQ-180.  Collins R-390A's have also been
used by
> many top DXers.  These are of course hollow-state receivers.  Since
you
> don't want to spend an undefined "lot of money, i won't suggest the
newer
> Ten-Tec RX-340 or the PC radios from WiNRADIO.
>
> A GE Superadio is not "really good."  Fair, maybe.  I used to own one.

One of the big drawbacks to the Superadio (I used to own a SR II and
sold it on eBay) is the abysmal dial calibration, both in poor pointer
resolution, and pointer inaccuracy. The first thing you will need to do,
is to be certain of which frequency you are tuned to, and with all of
the low power AM night signals present, many frequencies sound similar,
and can't always be easily identified by "sound".  To me, a digital
readout
would be the first priority. I made a paper dial scale for my SR II,
taped to the
outside of the case, and it was barely enough at the crowded top end,
especially in the East.

- Bob