[BC] Radio Reccomendation Needed

Mike Erickson wirelessmedia
Mon Aug 7 08:24:55 CDT 2006

It's OK... has some drift issues (not PLL), the audio is not the best even
from the line-out jacks... the built in speaker... they could have done
better.  Headphones help, FM stereo is noisy (even by portable standards)...
the AM has a high noise floor and has acceptable sensitivity (better if you
can tolerate the noise floor).  AM wide/narrow goes from listenable (wide)
to telephone (narrow) in quality.

The SW is sensitive but can be clunky to tune and really can drift.  It does
not have SSB and it is not a dual conversion receiver.

It should be noted that the AM is useless in high AM RF fields... it was
overloaded even with the RF gain turned all the way down to 0.  The RF gain
control itself acts like an off/low/high switch... you have 0 (no gain...
except at AM transmitter sites... then still too much gain) 1-3 (some gain)
3-10 (full gain).  Also featured in high RF fields by two different
radios... the display started reading 99999 and this was maybe 300 feet from
a 1kw non-D tower.. so it is not something to be used at or near a TX site
for any kind of reference.  I have not tried it at an FM site.

The new model is supposed to be better.

=Mike Erickson=