[BC] Tube transmitters do better in lightning?

gRAdy Moates lists
Mon Aug 7 07:45:16 CDT 2006

    I don't know, guys 'n' gals. . .

    I now have all SS rigs at all my clients, some of which
have been installed for more than a decade, and I can count
on the fingers of one hand the number of failures that even
"might" have been caused by lightning.  FMs on top of the
highest hill in the county and AM's with 360-foot sticks
that regularly draw arcs from God.  We had the mother of
all electrical storms come through here last week, and I
had no equipment failures at all, just power failures.

    Now melted surge arrestors are another thing. . .
got a short-stack of those to show for my troubles.
(mm-m-mm, pancakes. . . now that's a good idea for NOW.
IHOP, here I come!)

    Box design and installation has a lot to do with
survivability.

Grady

    Oh, maybe it's 'cause I'm a Methodist Preacher's Kid.

    Then again, maybe not, now that I've crossed over to the
"dark side" and am working for commercial radio. . . (heh)