[BC] Radio Recomendation

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Mon Aug 7 06:47:38 CDT 2006

In a message dated 08/07/2006 02:29:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
amstereoexp at yahoo.com writes:

> Another inexpensive choice is a Delco AM Stereo car radio, which will also
>  provide excellent reception (on both AM and FM) when set up in your home.
>  Getting one of these might be as easy as a trip to your local junkyard.
>  Try to get the connectors which plug into the back of the radio, too, to
>  make the wiring easier.  Hook it up to a 12-volt jump-start power pack (to
>  avoid the RF noise of an AC-to-DC power supply) and you'll get hours of
>  use on a single charge.

If it's a standard, linear power supply, it won't cause RFI problems. How to
tell? The power supply is fairly big & heavy, due to the bulky transformer
inside. Radio Shack still sells 'em. I think their unregulated one is $20 or so,
the regulated version about $40. (They're both about 6" wide, 8" deep, 4" tall
with "decorative" heatsink fins on each side of the regulated version.)

You DON'T want to get the "compact" version, as that would be the "switching"
type, which can generate RFI. That one's about the size of a "wall wart" with
a 12v cig lighter jack added to the front.

I can vouch for the older Declo style car radios (1970's vintage)... while
they are not "high fidelity" (bandwidth is pretty narrow) they certainly are
high sensitivity & selectivity. They can usually do a decent job of pulling a
weaker signal out form under the splatter of an adjacent. Of course, if said
adjacent station is running IBUZ, forget it.

BTW, unless you want a radio about the size of a *large* dresser drawer,
forget the R-390! Although, in ND you may want one soon! One of those puppies will
certainly help keep your place warm... no need for a space heater! ;)

Paul, can you be a little more specific... what kind of DX'ing do you want to
do? Longer-term listening of various USA Clears? Or trying to pick out weaker
stations just for the sport of it? Both? Those are important factors in
considering a radio.

Willie...