[BC] Radio Reccomendation Needed

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Mon Aug 7 01:29:09 CDT 2006

Paul Walker wrote:
> I know those Home Stereo Component Type Tuners are good, I used to have
> one and it's what nabbed KNBR 680 San Francisco, CA from Marks, MS!
> Are any of those  any good?

My low-budget setup for AM DXing is a JC Penney MCS 3050 tuner directly
connected to a Terk AM Advantage loop antenna.  MCS 3050 tuners show up
on eBay quite often and if you're lucky you can get one for less than $50.
Online discount sellers have the Terk for around $30 to $35 brand new.

At these prices you'll have excellent sensitivity and selectivity, and
decent-sounding C-Quam AM Stereo, too.  No, it won't bring in signals from
halfway around the world, but if you don't have the budget or space for an
esoteric vacuum-tube communications receiver, it's a very sensible choice.

Another inexpensive choice is a Delco AM Stereo car radio, which will also
provide excellent reception (on both AM and FM) when set up in your home.
Getting one of these might be as easy as a trip to your local junkyard.
Try to get the connectors which plug into the back of the radio, too, to
make the wiring easier.  Hook it up to a 12-volt jump-start power pack (to
avoid the RF noise of an AC-to-DC power supply) and you'll get hours of
use on a single charge.