[BC] Revel in You won't increase y

Barry Mishkind barry
Sun Aug 6 13:56:58 CDT 2006

At 11:42 AM 8/6/2006, Cowboy wrote
>On Sunday 06 August 2006 02:36 pm, Barry Mishkind wrote:
> > Sorry about that.  We are in the middle of a bombardment of spam this
> > week (I have been seeing 20 a day, or more)
>
>  20 a day ?

         No .. I guess I should explain a bit more:

         that is 20 a day per list AFTER all the
         "normal" filters and firewalls that prevent
         the hundreds of spams aimed at us have
         done their deed.

         Some of the readers of the list, notably those
         on roadrunner and some other services, write
         to me all the time about being "blocked" from
         the list.  This is usually due to RR being on many
         spam lists due to their practices. Other ISPs
         also have been hosting (or been hijacked) for
         spam, "phishing," and virus distribution.

         Then, I use blocking of "non-subscribers" and
         also some "key words" in the subjects (which
         occasionally traps some legit posts) to catch
         the rest. Unfortunately, some attempts include
         subscribing to lists and then sending posts.

         From time to time, we try to adjust the filters to
         reduce problems, but almost every attempt just
         floods the list Admin with more and more spam.

         It is an annoying mess. And in case you didn't know,
         it takes a lot of time each day to keep these lists
         "flowing" without allowing the garbage in. Again,
         my apology for the one that slipped through.

Barry Mishkind     -       Tucson, AZ    -   520-296-3797