[BC] Listening in the car

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Aug 5 19:12:42 CDT 2006

------ At 07:07 PM 8/5/2006, nakayle at gmail.com wrote: -------

>And yes, podcasters have bandwidth fees, but this is far less than the
>overhead for traditional broadcasters.

On a per listener basis, not true. Broadcasting is tremendously
efficient. Adding a listener has no effect on the transmitter's load.
The power company doesn't charge the station by the listener.

>The fact that there are hundreds of
>successful podcasters on right now and more coming on line every day shows
>the economics can work.  Podcasting is not a untested blue-sky theory- it's
>a full-fledged and growing industry who's practicality is being proven every
>day.

Figures? What are the economics? Podcasting and blogs are the newest
uses of the net. It's far too new to have accumulated the kind of
figures advertising agencies need. I think much of this is wishful
thinking because it's what you prefer, personally. That's not how one
makes money in any business.

Have you researched how much Podcasting ad money is spent? All an
agency knows is that a file has been downloaded. They have no idea if
their spot (hopefully very short to avoid zapping) has been heard.
Where does Arbitron stand in their development of measuring Podcast
listening? It's simply too soon to have any statisitcs on how
Podcasts are used. At least with broadcasting there's years of
research to determine if a spot has reached and affected a listener.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-454-3258