[BC] Listening in the car

FrankGott@aol.com FrankGott
Sat Aug 5 11:00:18 CDT 2006

In a message dated 8/5/2006 9:23:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
nakayle at gmail.com writes:

<<  People in broadcasting will have to realize the world is changing- and the
 future is not broadcasting- it's narrowcasting- so that everyone can hear
 what they want- not what mass marketers think they should hear. >>

Since I started this thread allow me to jump back in.

The radio audience is slowly eroding.  For whatever reason, people are
choosing not to turn to traditional over-the-air radio for news and information.
Thanks to the Internet news and weather is at their fingertips.  The same
information is text messaged to cellphones.  Podcasts allow listeners to download
for replay at their leisure.  Sometimes it is so depressing people just turn it
off.

For entertainment the younger generation is turning to iPods for self-created
programming.  The auto manufacturers are offering iPod docks in their
vehicles to meet the needs of their customers.

Radio still has a place in the media mix.  However, it is not as dominant as
it once was and will not regain lost audience.  It's a generational thing.
The core listening audience of transmitted radio is skewing older.

There will always be some form of radio.  Nothing beats a traffic reporter
describing accidents and suggesting detours in real time.  Hearing the local
morning team will remain a listening option.

Our studio complexes will remain in place.

But instead of an output to the STL and transmitter our studios will now feed
streaming audio on the net, podcasts, and whatever the innovators are about
to launch.

Radio is now one of many content delivery options for the listeners.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Frank Gottlieb