[BC] Music Sources in the 70s

Barry Mishkind barry
Mon Oct 31 18:01:28 CST 2005

At 04:43 PM 10/31/2005, Robert Orban wrote
>I remember hearing the occasion on-air cart jam on WABC in the mid
>'60s, either slow-downs or out-and-out stoppages. The jocks were
>usually right on top it in terms of turning it into entertainment.
>Meanwhile, the station always recovered from it very quickly,
>usually by going to a jingle and then back to normal program
>material. I don't remember if they returned to the same song, but I
>believe that they had duplicate carts available for all program material.

         KRLA was all cart by 1970. (perhaps a little
         earlier ... but that was when I got there).

         Every once in a while a cart died, and the
         jock "covered" and went on.... I think I
         have an aircheck of one such occasion.

         We did not have two of everything, but
         the ITC SP machines were so solid that
         it wasn't a major issue.  The one thing